Email Filters and White Lists
No one likes to receive unsolicited commercial e-mail. On the other hand, you want to be able read e-mail you have asked to receive, or need to receive.
Unfortunately "Spam Filters" can be a bit of a bother, filtering out e-mail you want to receive and allowing e-mail to get through you don't want to receive.
Yahoo, Netscape version 7.0, AOL, MSN and Outlook version 10.0 all provide you with a way to filter your e-mail.
In the case of MSN and AOL, by adjusting your security controls, you can set up your e-mail box so much of your e-mail ends up in your junk mail box. With Yahoo, unless you set up filters, e-mail you are looking for may end up in your bulk mail box.
Unfortunately, when you join a new newsletter using an AOL, Netscape, Hotmail, MSN or Yahoo e-mail address, you may not see the e-mail you are looking for unless you go into your junk mail or bulk mail box.
How can you avoid this problem, while still saving your e-mail box from being bombarded with unwanted e-mail?
One simple way is to add the names and email addresses of people you wish to receive e-mail from to your "safe list" in the case of Hotmail, MSN or AOL; or create a "filter" when using Yahoo or Netscape, ensuring the e-mail you want to read ends up in your Inbox and not in your Junk Mail, Bulk Mail, Delete or Trash Folder.
When you subscribe to Sim Dynasty, you will receive a welcome letter which contains information on how to confirm your email address. This helps us ensure that the email address you provided is real. You will also receive injury announcements and trade offer announcements to help you keep up with your team's progress.
Here is what we suggest depending on which mail server you use:
To make sure Sim Dynasty emails are delivered to your Yahoo Inbox (not the Bulk Mail folder), simply instruct Yahoo to filter it to your Inbox. Here's how:
* First open your Yahoo e-mailbox. On the right hand side of your screen you will see "Mail Options." Left click on this. In the right hand column, under Management left click on "Filters." Then left click on "Add Filter."
* Since this filter concerns receiving mail from Sim Dynasty, you can call this filter "Sim Dynasty." We suggest you type this in as the filter name.
* Underneath the heading "if all of the following rules are true ..." go to the top row labeled "From header." Next to this you will see drop down menu. Make sure to select "contains." Then simply type in simdynasty.com.
* At the bottom, where it says "Move the message to:" simply select Inbox from the pull-down menu. Then left click on the "Add Filter" button at the bottom and you're done.
Hotmail and MSN
Do you use Hotmail or MSN? You can easily ensure Sim Dynasty emails are delivered to your Inbox by adding our "From" address to your "Safe List."
Here's how to do this:
* First open your Hotmail of MSN e-mailbox. On the menu bar running across the top of your inbox you will see an item labeled "Options." It is the second last item to the right. Left click on "Options."
* In the new screen which opens, you will see a heading called "Mail Handling." Go down the page until you come to the item called "Safe List." Left click on this item.
* In the space provided, type in: simdynasty.com, and then left click on the "Add" button,
When you see the address you entered in the Safe List box, left click on the button "OK." and you.re done.
If you're using AOL, you can ensure that emails are delivered to your Inbox by setting your Mail Controls. Here's how:
* Go to Keyword Mail Controls.
* Select the screen name you are using to receive our emails.
* Left Click "Customize Mail Controls For This Screen Name."
For AOL version 7.0: In the section for "exclusion and inclusion parameters", include this domain:
For AOL version 8.0: Select "Allow email from all AOL members, email addresses and domains."
* Left click on "Next" until the Save button shows up at the bottom.
* Left click on "Save."
For AOL version 9.0:
Add email@example.com to your address book. Messages from us should then arrive in your inbox instead of the spam folder. If this doesn't work, go to Read. Then there should be a link at the bottom that says Spam Folders. Click that link. The message will be in there.
Netscape version 7.0
These comments apply to those of you using Netscape version 7.0 or higher. With Netscape, all e-mail ends up in your Inbox, unless you have set up a filter, instructing Netscape's mail server to send messages to another folder.
With Netscape, you can create a filter for all your messages from Sim Dynasty and organize your mail box by creating a separate mail folder, making it easier for you to read your messages.
To create a filter for messages from Sim Dynasty, left click on the Mail icon you see on the menu bar when you open Netscape as your browser.
When in the Mail window, here is what you do:
* Select the welcome message, or any other message, you received from Sim Dynasty.
* Open the "Message" menu, and choose "Create Filter From Message."
* You will see the "Filter Rules" dialog box. Using this email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, Netscape will prefill the filter name, the filter matching criteria, and the filter action (Move to folder).
* Either choose your Inbox in which to store the incoming messages from Sim Dynasty, or create a new folder and simply call it "Sim Dynasty".
* Left click on "OK" to confirm your settings. Do you see the "Message Filters" dialog box, where you can create, delete, or edit message filters?
* Left click on "OK" in the "Message Filters" dialog box. The filter begins filtering incoming messages from Sim Dynasty as soon as you click OK, sending them either to your Inbox or to a separate box labeled "Sim Dynasty"
Microsoft Outlook version 10.0
There are a number of different ways to set up filters with this version of Outlook. However, here is the easiest way:
* Open Outlook. In your Inbox, look for the e-mail message which indicates it is from Sim Dynasty. Left click on this message once.
* Go up to the Navigation menu and point your mouse to Tools. Left click on Tools and a drop down menu will open. Do you see the two arrows pointing downwards? Left click on these. You will see an item called "Organize." Left click on this.
* In your Inbox, you will see a menu with the title "Ways To Organize Inbox." At the top of this menu, you will see "New Folder ..." You want to left click on this.
* A new dialog box will pop up on your screen called "Create New Folder." In the "Name" field simply type in "Sim Dynasty" The left click on "Ok." A new pop up will appear asking whether you want to create a short cut on your "Outlook Bar."
* Do you use the Outlook Bar to access the folders in your Inbox? Then left click on "Yes." If not, and you simply left click on "Inbox" to move around, then left click on "No."
* You will notice in your "Ways To Organize Inbox," Outlook has filled in the necessary items, and all you have to do is simply left click on "Create." By doing this you are instructing Outlook to create a new rule, causing the existing message and all future messages from Sim Dynasty to go into the sub-folder you just created in your Inbox called "Sim Dynasty". That's it.
The next time you receive a message from Sim Dynasty, Outlook will automatically cause it to go into the mail box called "Sim Dynasty". You can then read the message at your pleasure.
Many popular e-mail programs, including older versions of Outlook and Netscape; Outlook Express and Eudora, do not provide a convenient way for you to white-list the people you want to receive e-mail from.
If you're using this sort of e-mail system and you either aren't getting Sim Dynasty emails, or want to make sure you continue to receive these emails in the future, here is what to do:
* Contact the customer service representative or the Postmaster at the company that provides your e-mail or Internet connection (your ISP). Explain to them that Sim Dynasty emails are emails that you asked for and value. Ask them if they can white-list Sim Dynastyl. They'll probably ask you for some information about us. Here's what to tell them:
* Sending Address: If they ask for our address, give your contact this email address: email@example.com
* Domain: If they need to know the domain we're mailing from, tell them both of these:
* IP Address: If they ask for our sending IP address, tell them:
Trusting you found this primer of value and thank you for "white listing" the email address for Sim Dynasty.
Click here to return to the Sim Dynasty home page